Futurity RulesHow it works. What to do. When to do it.
The World Morgan Futurity will be shown each year at the Grand National & World Championship Morgan Horse Show®. All horses shown must be currently nominated in the World Morgan Futurity. The World Morgan Futurity will show in four divisions: Yearlings, Two Year Olds, Three Year Olds and Alumni Four Year Olds.
All horses showing at the Grand National & World Championship Morgan Horse Show must be entered on the Grand National show entry blank. A Grand National entry fee of $250 (includes GN fee and WMF fee) per horse, per class must be paid to the Grand National for all Futurity horses competing. When entering Alumni horses, mark class number with asterisk and add $150 to the entry fee.
Prize money will be sent to the owner of record on file with the Grand National Show Secretary.
NOMINATIONS OF WEANLINGS
- Weanlings and Sires must be nominated and all fees paid on or before December 1st of the nominee’s weanling year.
- The fee for nominating a weanling is $100.
- The fee for nominating the weanling’s sire is $200. Once nominated, the stallion may be recorded as sire of any number of Futurity weanlings during the current year at no additional fee. It is the responsibility of the stallion owner to nominate their stallion. If they do not, it may be done by one or more people (nomination fee may be shared by foal owners/breeders) wishing to nominate stallion’s get.
- To pre-pay all weanling and eligibility fees, the one-time fee is $250 plus a $30 office fee. If Alumni fees are included, the additional amount would be $250, for a total of $500. These amounts do not include sire nomination fee. The horse would then be eligible for the life of the Futurity, and only the Show Entry fees would be required if the horse is to be shown at the Grand National. This reflects a savings of $90-$120 in office fees.
NOMINATION OF YEARLING
- The Yearling must have been nominated as a Weanling in this Futurity with all fees paid.
- An eligibility fee of $50 must be paid on or before April 1st of the nominee’s yearling year.
NOTE: A Yearling not previously nominated as a weanling may be nominated to the Futurity by paying the Weanling nomination fee of $100 on or before December 31st of the nominee’s yearling year, together with applicable late fees (see late fee chart at the bottom of this page). The sire of the Yearling must be nominated for a fee of $200, in the event the Sire was not nominated when the nominee was a Weanling. Eligibility fees and applicable late fees will be assessed.
NOMINATION OF TWO YEAR OLD
- The Two Year Old must have been nominated as a Weanling, and eligibility fees paid as a Yearling.
- An eligibility fee of $50 must be paid on or before April 1st of the nominee’s two year old year.
NOTE: A Two-Year-Old that has not yet been nominated to the futurity previously can be entered and brought to eligibility by paying the Weanling nomination fee of $100 on or before April 1st of the nominee’s two-year-old year, together with applicable late fees (see late fee chart at the bottom of this page). The Sire of the Two Year Old must be nominated for a fee of $200 in the event the Sire was not nominated when the nominee was a Weanling. Eligibility fees and applicable late fees will be assessed. After April 1st of the two year old year, it is no longer possible for a horse to be nominated to the futurity.
NOMINATION OF THREE YEAR OLD
- The Three Year Old must been nominated as a Weanling and eligibility fees paid up and through as a Yearling and Two Year Old.
- An eligibility fee of $50 must be paid on or before April 1st of the nominee’s three year old year.
NOMINATION OF FOUR YEAR OLD ALUMNI
The Four Year Old Futurity Alumni is separate from the regular Futurity. This Alumni Division allows Futurity horses to go another year beyond the Futurity and participate in any Grand National Class, in any division, at the Grand National & World Championship Morgan Horse Show®. A horse may participate in the Futurity without participating in the Alumni program, but a horse may not participate in the Alumni Program without completing all four years of the Futurity. All money paid into this fund is held and distributed in the Alumni Four Year Old Year.
- The Four Year Old must have been previously nominated as a Weanling and all eligibility fees paid as a Yearling, Two Year Old and Three Year Old in the regular World Morgan Futurity.
- An alumni fee of $50 is paid to the World Morgan Futurity on or before December 1st of the nominee’s weanling year.
- An alumni fee of $50 is paid to the World Morgan Futurity on or before April 1st of the nominee’s yearling, two year old, three year old and four year old years.
- All monies accumulated in the Alumni Fund are paid out the four year old year.
DIVISION OF PRIZE MONEY
Each weanling class will initiate a new Futurity Prize Fund, which will exist for four years. The value of the prize fund each year will be the total amount of money paid in nomination fees, eligibility fees, show entry fees, miscellaneous funds and added donations, plus residuals from preceding years.
- YEARLING YEAR—pays back 35% of balance, residual to go to the Two Year Old Year.
- TWO YEAR OLD YEAR—pays back 50% of balance, residual to go to the Three Year Old Year.
- THREE YEAR OLD YEAR—pays back 100%.
- FOUR YEAR OLD YEAR—pays back 100% of alumni fees.
- Class paybacks will be divided as follows: 1st – 25%, 2nd – 20%, 3rd – 15%, 4th – 10%, 5th – 5%, 6th – 5%, 7th – 5%, 8th – 5%, 9th – 5%, 10th – 5% in all regular Futurity classes.
- Prize Money will be divided equally between the three Yearling In-Hand Classes from the Yearling fund.
- Prize money will be divided equally between the five Two Year Old Classes from the Two Year Old fund.
- Prize money will be divided equally between the seven Three Year Old Classes from the Three Year Old fund.
- Prize money is paid back to Alumni horses placing 1st-10th in any Grand National class judged solely on the horse, excluding World Championships.
- 40% of the total AMHA Sire Auction revenue less expenses will go the World Morgan Futurity for distribution to each first place winner in each Futurity class, provided that winner is sired by one of the sires in the auction that year. For distribution percentages, visit our website.
ENTRY CLOSING DATES
DECEMBER 1st — Weanling nominations due; regular and alumni.
APRIL 1st — Eligibility fees due. Yearling, Two Year Old, Three Year Old and Four Year Old Alumni.
DIVISIONS AND CLASSES
- WC Futurity Yearling Gelding In-Hand
- WC Futurity Yearling Colt In-Hand
- WC Futurity Yearling Filly In-Hand
TWO YEAR OLD DIVISION
- WC Futurity Two Year Old Gelding In-Hand
- WC Futurity Two Year Old Stallion In-Hand
- WC Futurity Two Year Old Mare In-Hand
- WC Futurity Two Year Old Pleasure Driving
- WC Futurity Two Year Old Park Harness
THREE YEAR OLD DIVISION
- WC Futurity Three Year Old Classic Pleasure Driving
- WC Futurity Three Year Old English Pleasure
- WC Futurity Three Year Old Hunter Pleasure
- WC Futurity Three Year Old Park Harness
- WC Futurity Three Year Old Park Saddle
- WC Futurity Three Year Old Pleasure Driving
- WC Futurity Three Year Old Western Pleasure
FOUR YEAR OLD DIVISION
- Any GRAND NATIONAL Class (this does not include any World Championship classes) that is judged solely on the horse.
WEANLING/YEARLING NOMINATION LATE FEES
|June-Dec of yearling year||$250|
|Jan-April of 2YO year||$300|
ELIGIBILITY LATE FEES
May — $25
June and after — $50
SHOW LATE FEES
After GN entry deadline – 2x the entry fee
ALUMNI LATE FEES
If fees not paid when due, the amounts to catch up are:
Yearlings — $150
Two-Year-Olds — $200
Three-Year-Olds — $300
Four-Year-Olds — $400
Winners & Payouts
Comprehensive listing of winners and monies earned over the last decade.
Notecards, art prints, custom seat back covers and more to benefit the Futurity.
AMHA/WMF Stallion Service Auction
Every year, this well supported event adds substantial premiums to the WMF jackpots.
Auction Bonus & Rewards
Additional jackpot monies provided to foals sired by stallions sold in the annual AMHA/WMF Stallion Service Auction, with a $10,000 Auction Bonus and other Auction Rewards to foals sired by these stallions.